Nimue

Nimue

Vessel (Cutting Cords #2) - Mickie B. Ashling I read the first book, Cutting Cords, a few moths ago and I liked it a lot. I was very happy that there would be a sequel to Sloan’s and Cole’s love story. Unfortunately this book wasn’t what I expected, which doesn’t mean it’s bad. I thought the book would go further into their relationship and how they make it work.

Instead exactly the opposite happens. All the differences between these two men sum up and built an insurmountable distance between them. This book is about a relationship which doesn’t work anymore. A very brave and rather uncommon topic in a sequel. And though I originally was upset about this I now accept that sometimes it’s just not working. This story isn’t pretty. It’s harsh and painful. The characters go through betrayal, hope, love and bitter acceptance. Honestly I could understand Cole. I know he is under a lot of pressure as the only son and in addition is conservative as well but I still didn’t understand his complete blindness (Ironically he is literally blind.) and disregard to Sloan’s feelings. On the other hand there is Sloan, who used to be very fragile but now grows above himself and becomes stronger with every page. He still makes some rash and occasionally irrational decisions but overall becomes more the man he should be.

Overall this book is nothing for the faint-hearted. There is a lot of bitterness and very raw emotions. It’s not always an enjoyable read but it’s a well done story.
*** ARC courtesy of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ***